Thursday, November 5, 2009

Dogs on Thursday Mystery

This post has it all... mystery, scandal, intrigue, but no dogs, so I guess this isn't technically a Dogs on Thursday post, but frankly I don't have anything dog related for today, so chickens it is!

Longtime readers will surely remember Ducky, my Ducky McDuck, my sweet innocent Duck-a-Doo who was shamelessly seduced in the twilight of her life (she was just 2 weeks shy of her 12th birthday!) by that rogue neighbor chicken Napoleon. I'm thinking there was Ecstasy involved. This is one of the last pictures I have of sweet Duck-duck-duck. Look how close that nasty little black chicken is sticking to her.

He filled her head with sweet talk and lies, and led her astray, never to be seen by her loving momma ever again. Oh, the heartache...

But the story doesn't end there. Last week, a bunch of chickens started showing up, wandering in to the yard through a patch of woods that separates us from the neighbors. They're shy chickens, though, so I've had a hard time getting pictures. This picture of them hanging around the driveway was taken from inside the back door.

I went out and followed them to get some better shots, and got this picture of one rooster (the black & white one) and 5 hens. You can just see the top of the head of hen #5 in the bottom right hand corner of the photo.Just for the fun of it, I started cooing to #5 and calling her Ducky Junior. The rest of the chicks ran off, but she came right up to me, and let me snap a bunch of pictures!

Could it be that this is Ducky Junior? Daughter of Ducky? I think it is!

To some people, perhaps all Rhode Island Red chickens look alike, but I just know there is a family resemblance here... Look at the coloring, the eyes, the nose, the comb!


Yes, indeed! Ducky sent her daughter back to me to tell me that she is happy in that great chicken coop in the sky. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!

8 comments:

Sue said...

I'm with you. There was a Mockingbird years ago that became tame enough to eat from my hand. She hung around our yard for several years. he favorite place to perch was in the wreath on our front door.

Even though it's been over fifteen years, each year a young Mockingbird comes to that deck, now my friend's deck, and begs for raisins. I'm sure that they've been the offspring of that first bird. We're probably into the fifth generation now.

Cat said...

Yeah! I did not know chickens could be so pretty until a few years ago after attending the state fair!

Natalie Rush said...

That is too cute...who knows!

Thanks for stopping by my blog...There are no dogs in this post but still an interesting post! ;)

Happy DOT!

SissySees said...

I love it! Of course Ducky sent her back for you. Why not?!

She's beautiful.

Donna Lee said...

I'm sticking with your story, too. It makes perfect sense to me!

Lapdog Creations said...

Could it possibly actually be Ducky herself???

JerseyJennyW said...

It's certainly a nice thought that perhaps that very unique chicken that was Ducky lives on still in these roaming chickens

Knitting it Out in an Urban Zoo said...

LOVE this. I loved your ducky stories too.