Friday, February 29, 2008

We interrupt this pity party to bring you...

...knitting content. I came very close to casting on something...anything this week, but so far I have kept to my pledge to wait until March 1st. (I say "so far" because it is February 29th, and it's only 6:10am, so I have a long day ahead of me.) When I joined with Tsuki in the whole "February is for Finishing" thing, I knew it would be hard, but I also knew I wanted to get several projects done before casting on for the Clapotis KAL.

Here is the pair of socks I finished yesterday. The yarn is dyed by the multi-talented Shelly Kang, and the colorway is "Mystery Mauve."
I kept this sock on the needles the longest this month because it was the "mindless knitting" pair that I could do in the car, at appointments, etc. I had to get an x-ray yesterday, and there was a screaming toddler that they were trying to get to cooperate for an x-ray (poor kid), so I had a bit of a wait, and almost finished the toe in the waiting room. Then what would I have done? Leaf through old magazines that who-the-hell-knows-how-many-other-people-have-leafed-through-with-God-knows-what-kind-of-diseases? Horrors! I am now officially without a sock-in-progress. This is the first time in at least 9 years that I have not had a sock on the needles, usually more like 3 or 4 socks. What are the symptoms of withdrawal?

The only project I have on the needles right now (which coincidentally I found on Shelly's blog--I told you she was multi-talented) is the mitred square blanket, a.k.a. "Old Faithful." Here is a glamour shot:

And here is a close-up of the bottom right edge.
I decided the blanket was too narrow, and added another 4 squares. That takes the width from around 38 inches to close to 51 inches. Much better. See that little white tag? I wrote instructions on how to join the new side squares to the "live" stitches on the existing blanket squares so I don't forget. In case anyone wants to know, on the right side, slip the last stitch of the new square, knit the live stitch from the blanket, and pass the slipped stitch over it. On the wrong side, instead of slipping the first stitch, I just go ahead and knit all stitches. This took me a shamefully long amount of time to figure out, but I think it makes an acceptable join.

The question is, will I have enough yarn to finish?

I think so, and even if I run low, tomorrow I'll be casting on at least one sock, probably two, maybe even three or four, so I'll have more scraps when they are done. My friend Patty Ann (who helped me with my very first sock) has given me her leftover bits of sock yarn, but the bulk of the yarn came from socks that I knit myself. I love that I can identify where every yarn came from, and know who ended up with the finished sock. It's like a scrapbook of my sock knitting.

6 comments:

Nichole said...

what a great idea for the leftover sock yarn!

Criquette said...

I am so in love with the mitered blankie! It is ferocious(I've been watching too much Project Runway. Your self-control is very admirable - I finished a total of 1 old object in February, although I did complete 3 dishcloths that I cast on in February. I still have a bunch of the old-timer UFO's hanging around...

Mrs. H (aka MrsAych) said...

Love the socks and the blanket!

noricum said...

I'm impressed that the sock yarn blanket is virtually all your own scraps! Even with all the socks I make, I still wouldn't have had nearly enough had I not gotten a big package from Shelly, plus scraps from various other friends.

CynicalGal said...

Ooh, that blanket is spectacular!

Jennifer Lori said...

It's coming along so wonderful! I think I still only have about 20 squares done on Jakob's blankie...maybe I'll send it off with him when he goes to college one day. :)