Friday, February 1, 2008

February is for Finishing (and a meme)!

Tsuki of Tsuki's World posted about a Ravelry group she joined-- "February is for Finishing". What a great idea! Tsuki pledges to: "... not cast on, start crocheting, or even pick up my learn to spin kit, until I have finished what I’m currently working on..." Admirable. February is a short month, so I think I can do that, too! I don't have pics of all of my works-in-progress, so will wait and post about the details later on.

I will mention that one of my WIPs is a second Debbie Bliss Alphabet Blanket that I first saw on Jennifer's blog. It just so happens that Jennifer also recently tagged me for a meme. (How's that for a segue!)

Anyway, here goes. The rules (which must be posted to your blog) are:
Link to the person’s blog who tagged you.
List seven random and/or weird facts about yourself.
Tag seven random people at the end of your post and include links to their blogs.
Let each person know that they have been tagged by posting a comment on their blog and also so they can look at your blog and not tag the same people all over again!

My 7 Random Things:

1) I don't like boats. Not at all. I think I finally realized why - you're depending on a mechanical beast (aka motor) to get you back to land. Motors break down, batteries die, etc. I don't like being further from land than I can swim. I'm a pretty good swimmer, (if you're not picky about technique) but I don't really want to be too far from dry land. Last summer I discovered kayaking, and now I'm hooked. It's still a boat, but no motor! Hooray! I figure there is no way I can be stranded somewhere, because if I got myself a certain distance from shore, I can always get myself back. (I realize there may be a tiny flaw in that logic, but I choose to ignore it.)

2) I play the harp. Badly, but I still play it. I took lessons for a couple of years. One night, on the drive home from a lesson, I found out that my precious Katie had cancer, and I never went back to another harp lesson. I'll pick it up and play every now and then, but never if there is anyone else in the house. I'm telling you, I'm really bad.

3) There was a point in my childhood where I wanted to be a nun. I knew early on that I never (ever, not ever, truly... never) wanted to have kids, so why not be a nun? Well, we were not Catholic, that's why! Who ever heard of a Baptist nun?

4) I cannot read a newspaper. Something about them makes me nauseous. The paper? The ink? Who knows. I can't even pick one up and carry it to the recycling bin to get rid of the filthy stinky thing.

5) I only like American cheese. Once in a while, if I am feeling wild and crazy, I might go for some mild Cheddar, or possibly Mozzarella. Swiss, Provolone? No way. How about Blue or Brie? Bleeck! Feta? Never! Don't even get me started on Parmesan!

6) I can't eat fresh fruit. I'm hyper-sensitive to the acid in them. Not just oranges & grapefruit, but apples, pears, strawberries, peaches...you name it. Bananas are fine, but that's it.

7) My siblings conspired to kill me when I was young. My brother left the door to the cellar open when I was in my baby walker. I ended up hurtling down the cellar steps in that death-trap-on-wheels, and landed in a basket of laundry at the bottom of the steps. To this day, you can't convince me that he didn't do it on purpose - maybe even gave the walker a shove... A couple of years later my sister opened a brand new bottle of baby aspirin for me, and I ate the whole thing.
I don't remember the baby walker incident, but I wasn't quite 5 years old when I ate the aspirin, and I vividly remember laying on the front seat of the car with my head on my mother's lap, dad speeding us to the hospital, and then having my stomach pumped out. Nasty.

Anyway, I think this meme has made the rounds for a while already, but if you haven't done it, or want to do it again, consider yourself tagged. The one person I know who has NOT done it (since she is brand new to blogging) is my friend Pat from Patty Ann Quilts and Knits. So come on, Pat, give it a go!

3 comments:

Criquette said...

Speaking of FO's - I saw some pictures of the mitered squares blankie on Ravelry and all I can say is WOW! How close to finished is it?

Jennifer Lori said...

My sister almost fell down the stairs in a baby walker when she was little, that was 20 years ago. (Oy- that makes me feel old). I found out when I got pregnant that they were banned because they are safety risks. Oops!

Did you ever retaliate on your siblings? ;)

Anonymous said...

>>My siblings conspired to kill me when I was young. My brother left the door to the cellar open when I was in my baby walker.

A vicious, vicious lie. Your brother is wonderful person, kind to all, especially small animals. Clearly your older sister left the door open and attempted to frame him.

8-)