Thursday, July 23, 2009

Back to our regularly scheduled...

Dogs on Thursday! I feel bad for having skipped last week's DOT post, but I have officially survived last weekend's event at work. We're all talking about getting t-shirts made up that say something like "I Survived Another Hell Weekend." This was my 10th one - I think there should be balloons and party hats, or at the very least a cake, right?

Anyway, I thought I would be working 12 days in a row, but it turns out I needed to take off this past Tuesday to take Miss Emma to the Vee-Eee-Tee. I don't want to embarrass her, but she has been having some, shall we say, dribbling. You know, pee pee problems. It started about a month ago--no blood or urgency, just every now and then a little wet spot where Emma was laying. Our wonder-vet put her on two weeks of an antibiotic to see if it was just a little infection. It seemed to help at first, but then started up again.

The next step was bloodwork, but we had to wait until this week to have it done so that the antibiotic was out of her system. Emma was a very brave little soldier when she was getting her blood drawn. I think it helped that the vet tech drawing her blood also happens to be The Nanny!

The Wonder Vet did a broad spectrum blood panel to check out lots of things, and when he called and left a message with the results, he said Emma has "gorgeous bloodwork." Those were his exact works. Yay! I'm hoping to talk to him tonight about the next step, but am so very relieved that it's not something with her kidneys or whatever. Dribbling I can deal with, as long as she is healthy. In fact, we have started covering all of her favorite spots with bath mats - the kind with a rubber backing.

She thinks it's great, and wonders why we didn't provide this extra cushy blanket before now!

6 comments:

SissySees said...

How old is Emma? I'm glad that her bloodwork was great!

Lapdog Creations said...

Glad Emma's blood work is fabulous! :) That's always a relief. Keep us posted...

Love her cushy matts and yes, cake would be good!

Sue said...

Good bloodwork=good news! Older, spayed female could just be something to learn to live with. There are some drugs to ask you vet about if it gets any worse. Sometimes it's just a matter of them sleeping more soundly as they age and not waking in time to go out. Give that sweet girl a hug for me.

Unknown said...

Aww seriously, why were you holding out with the blankets? ;) I also love that she's got her snout half on the blanket. She'll figure it out I'm sure, she's a smartie.

margo said...

Been there done that. As we laughingly say, girl dogs can't hold their water.

Since all but one of our four is an older spayed female, we have lots of experience, but it does worry you.

I put all the girls on over the counter cranberry pills each morning and it seems to help. Maybe just coincidence, but don't think it can hurt.
Hugs

silfert said...

Scary to have bloodwork done! Extra hugs for the brave girl, and I would be happy to make a cake for you on your next visit to the Midwest...