Thursday, December 13, 2007

Special Dogs on Thursday

I read this on Nichole's blog, who got it from Chan. Both are fellow "dog moms", or as my dad would say, "fellow wackos". He means that in the most affectionate way, of course. He talks tough, but he's really just a softie at heart! Anyway, I just wanted to pass this along.


Forgotten Dog's Christmas

'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.
The stockings were hung by the chimney with care
In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there.

The children were nestled all snug in their beds
With no thought of the dog filling their head.
And mamma in her 'kerchief, and I in my cap
Knew he was cold but didn't care about that.

When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter
I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter!
Away to the window I flew like a flash
Figuring the dog was free of his chain and into the trash.

The moon on the breast of the new-fallen snow
Gave the luster of mid-day to objects below.
When, what to my wondering eyes should appear
But Santa Claus - with eyes full of tears

He un-chained the dog, once so lively and quick.
Last year's Christmas present, now painfully thin and sick.
More rapid than eagles he called the dog's name
And the dog ran to him, despite all his pain.

"Now, DASHER! now, DANCER! now, PRANCER and VIXEN!
On, COMET! on CUPID! on, DONNER and BLITZEN!
To the top of the porch! To the top of the wall!
Let's find this dog a home where he'll be loved by all.

I knew in an instant there would be no gifts this year
For Santa Claus had made one thing quite clear.
The gift of a dog is not just for one season.
We had gotten the pup for all the wrong reasons.
In our haste to think of the kids a gift
There was one important thing that we missed.

A dog should be family, and cared for the same
You don't give a gift, then put it on a chain.
And I heard him exclaim as he rode out of sight
"You weren't given a gift! You were given a LIFE!"

Author Unknown

Please think twice (three times, four times, a hundred times) before getting a dog or cat (or any furry, feathery or finny creature) as a Christmas present. They are precious little souls, totally dependant on their humans, and deserve only the best that we can give them.

6 comments:

YawnOver said...

Hmmm..I think you're all preaching to the choir on Dogs on Thursday :) I mean, come on, our furbabies have knitwear!

silfert said...

Same kind of thing I say in my column right before Easter: PETS ARE NOT PRESENTS!

Criquette said...

This made me cry. Unfortunately, so true. The only thought that comforts me is that karma catches up with these *&#%#*#^!@*@* creeps.

Tsuki said...

I totally agree. All animals are so dependent on us. We took months to decide whether we could offer a good home to our hammies, and they don't take much keeping!

On the news over here there was an article about how Staffies have been arriving at the RSPCA in droves. People have been buying them as status symbols, training them to look (and be) aggressive, and then handing them in to the animal chairities when they can't cope with them anymore. EVIL.

A doggy (or other furry) is for life, the whole of it's life.

JerseyJennyW said...

As far as chained dogs go, you might want to check out my posting of Tammy Grime's open letter ... to story of Doogie & Tammy saving him was HUGE in the rescue/animal advocate world.

Lapdog Creations said...

Thanks for cross posting that! :)