Saturday, June 9, 2007

Happy World Wide Knit in Public Day!!!

Yes, there is such a thing as World Wide Knit in Public day. What's more, there was a gathering in a town not far from where I live. I got to meet some very nice knitters & crocheters, and found a lovely little shop. I've got to tell you I was a little nervous before going. I'm not good in groups, or with new people. Plus the name of the store -- O'Daleys -- sounded kind of like a bar. I had a strict Baptist upbringing, and the closest thing to alcohol in our house was cough syrup. I've never been in a bar, unless you count the time when I was 5 years old and my Grandmom & Uncle Rich took me to the seashore with them, and we went into a bar and my grandmother let me have a sip of her beer. I remember telling my mother about the pretty colorful windows in the bathroom. Looking back I'm sure it was that cheezy plastic coating they glued to the windows, but, hey, I was five and had never seen colorful windows. Anyway, boy was my mother pissed. I never went back to the seashore with just my Grandmom & Uncle....
But I digress. Here is a shot of (the not at all bar-like) O'Daleys. It was a nice little store with sewing things for sale, and some gift items. I overheard the owner talking to another customer about adding yarn to her inventory - YAY!
And just a few doors down was a little gazebo that they filled with comfy chairs and everything. It is just to the left of this sign, but I didn't want to take a picture of it with the knitters because I hate (really and truly HATE) having my picture taken and I wouldn't want to make the other knitters feel uncomfortable.

A good time was had by all (and no alcohol was consumed, mom). After that I got to crawl around on Dad's garage floor (which is cleaner than my kitchen floor). We were threading some wires under my sister's car from the battery back to the trailer hitch to operate an electric winch (very different from an electric wench). Don't ask.

No comments: