Tuesday, July 24, 2012

In which Emma has puppies...

The past couple of weeks, or really months, have been so very difficult. In addition to coping with the loss of Tara and Cooper, we have been trying to keep Emma's spirits up. Not an easy task, as she misses her siblings terribly. She is sleeping better at night, but when she is left alone, she will howl. Not a barking kind of howl. It's a soft, coyote-like, kind of howl that is totally heartbreaking to hear.

Take a look at her in this picture. She was "helping" me piece together a quilt. She soon had enough and decided to lay down on the work in progress. She always has this sad, defeated look on her face now. It breaks my heart to see her like this.

 Emma on the quilt pieces

My sister and I have both been looking at possible siblings for Emma. I am still very raw inside, and wouldn't think of an addition if it weren't for Emma. She apparently needs the company of other dogs. Humans can only offer so much comfort, as we all very well know.


Anyway, rescue is the only option for us, so my sister has been scouring Brittany rescue sites like American Brittany Rescue, New England Brittany Rescue and National Brittany Rescue and Adoption Network.
We took Emma to "meet and greet" an available Brittany, but the meeting did not go well. It was one week after losing Cooper, two weeks after losing Tara, and I think it was just too soon for all of us. Emma positioned herself in between the other Brittany and us, and snapped if she got too close.


We started to think that a puppy or a smaller dog would be better, so I have been setting my sights on another breed altogether. I have always, always, always loved the look of the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.

z cavs1

I have shied away from the breed due to their many health concerns, but there are no guarantees with anything in life. Look at my sweet Tara for an example of that...

After looking at a couple of Cavalier rescue sites, I filled out an application with Cavalier Rescue USA. To make a long story short (or at least less long), there is a pair of Cavalier girls about three hours from here who are in need of a loving home. Their owner passed away, his daughter couldn't keep the dogs and placed them with Cavalier Rescue USA. They were adopted out to a loving couple last month, but the wife has developed some very serious health concerns, and they are no longer able to keep the dogs.

Meet Annie and Molly:
Molly and Annie








Those are the names given to them by their original owner, so I don't want to change them. I have no idea which dog is Molly and which is Annie. They are approximately 5 years old, and Molly is perfectly healthy, but Annie is deaf and has a grade 4 heart murmur. ( I can handle this, right?) My dad and I will be driving down to Maryland tomorrow afternoon to pick up these cute little girls. Don't they look like Brittany puppies???

I have a really good feeling about this. I am positive that Emma will love and care for these two as if they were her own puppies. Let the healing begin...

7 comments:

SissySees said...

They look like Emma-puppies!

I'm happy for you, and I'm sure the girls will mend all of your hearts. If ever a household - and grands - were up for a special needs pet, it's yours. It'll give Emma a reason to be very patient with the new gals.

Sue said...

They're beautiful! We have a dear friend that has Cavaliers and they do look like Brit pups. Good luck. Our transition has been easy and we wish the same for you.
Sue

Bridget said...

This is wonderful for everyone involved! And think how happy Tara and Cooper are to know that some pups who truly need love will now have more than ever.

Kiss Emma for me, and tell her that I'm sure she'll be the best sister to her two new pups.

Bubblesknits said...

I'm so very happy for all of you. If anyone can handle a special needs pup, it's you. Give Emma lots of love for us. ~Micro & Family

Donna Lee said...

I think Emma will enjoy being the big sister. Annie and Molly are adorable and maybe a different breed will be easier. Less comparisons in your mind, and less threatening for Emma.

I'm holding good thoughts and hope for you all in my heart.

Lapdog Creations said...

Oh gosh, they do look like little mini-Emmas! I hope she loves them with all her heart.

Congrats....... and what a great step you are taking for Emma, and for those 2 babies. :)

gMarie said...

I truly believe you are never given more than you can handle - so yes, you can handle this. I hope Emma can too, although I'm sure she'll be fine with wee babies.

Prayers for all of you sweet girls that you settle into a comfortable routine. g