Wednesday, June 27, 2012

My Sweet Tara

Tara is gone. She is now playing with Scarlett, Katie, Mellie, Scupper, Sam and Sam II. Her battle with Lymphosarcoma was short, just shy of 12 weeks, but she was a fighter. Her case was atypical, and there were no guarantees when we started chemo, but we had to give it a shot. After trying three different protocols, the oncologist took her off meds last Tuesday. She has been on "comfort care" for a week. Last night, or really early this morning, she was struggling to breathe, and could barely stand on her own. This morning, we made the hardest decision, but really there was no decision to be made at all. We were not going to have her suffer. She was too good for that.

Everyone has been so supportive through this, and I feel fortunate to have so many wonderful people in my life. The words of encouragement here on the blog and on Facebook are truly what got me through some of the roughest days. My whole family has been wonderful, from going to appointments with me, letting Emma and Cooper out on the days that Tara had chemo and I would be away from home for most of the day, to just being there when I needed them the most.

My work has been wonderful, allowing me to work from home when I couldn't leave Tara, approving vacation days no-questions-asked, and my coworkers picking up the slack the days I wasn't at work. I even got a new boss in the middle of all of this, and I wasn't there until the afternoon on her first day of work because of one of Tara's treatments. How lucky am I to work for a place that understands that pets aren't just pets, they are so much more than that?

OK, I'm really blubbering now, so I will just share some of my favorite pictures of my sweet girl and then go to bed.

Tara the first day we brought her home from the American Brittany Rescue transport. Look how scrawny she was!

Taraonchair


When she first came here, she didn't know what toys were, but she learned pretty quickly!

100_1564


She liked to help around the house, from cleaning out the cabinet where the trash and recycling bins are kept...
Tara in trash










...to helping with the dishes.

100_2402










She was fashionable...

100_2121













...refined (eating off of a fork)...
DSCF0453










...and loved. Loved so very much.

Happy Tara













 I am positive that she is in heaven right now, because if there is a heaven, the worst dog in the world would be more deserving of a place there than the best human.

12 comments:

AthertonCA said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Tara. From reading about her over the last couple of years, I know she was a special dog and that she was loved very much.

Donna Lee said...

What a sweetie she was. I'm sorry, Diane. I know how hard that decision was to make. Your photos of the beautiful girl made me cry. Hugs to you (and the other two babies still at home).

Sue said...

I'm so very sorry. I know that Tsar was waiting at the bridge to welcome her.
Sue

SissySees said...

Boo, hoo, hoo... Love the photos though. I wish I'd gotten one of Mugsy standing IN the dishwasher...

Big hugs, and the fur-girls send licks and love.

Unknown said...

Im sorry for your loss, my Fred is showing her around up there :) She is in good hands it sounds like. I am so sorry for your loss. My friend Chan sent me over.

Lapdog Creations said...

What a beautiful post of photos... Tara was so well loved and lived an amazing life. Your strength thru all of this amazes me and you know I'm here for you. Much love and hugs.... and lots of sloppy kisses from the Lapdogs.

Katherine said...

I read about the passing of dear, sweet Tara on Chan's blog and just had to tell you how sorry I am!! I am certain there are dogs in heaven because it wouldn't be heavenly otherwise. My thoughts and prayers are with you during this time of loss!!

gMarie said...

Dianne - I have tears in my eyes reading this. I know she is in heaven too. *I* always say they were lucky to have us, but the reality is we are so blessed to be loved by them.

I hope soon your memories will give you comfort. :) g

Bridget said...

God bless all of you. Tara had the kind of death we can only all hope for - surrounded by those who love her, and her last conscious moment knowing they were there.

And I think you are 100% correct with your last sentence.

Everyone at our house (furry and otherwise) will say a special prayer. And remember, those we love never really leave us. Being able to see and touch them is only part of it.

Molly the Airedale said...

We just came from Sissy's blog. We are so very sorry to hear about Tara. What a beautiful girl she was. Our hearts go out to you. Godspeed Tara.

Love ya lots,
Mitch and Molly

Natalie Rush said...

This is a lovely post! Thank you for sharing. So sorry for your loss. Tara wil be missed by many!

Crazy Knitting Fool said...

Oh I am so sorry for your loss. Sending hugs your way.